For Jane Friedman’s “5 On” series, author Chris Jane asks Heather 5 questions on writing including: the top five mistakes screenwriters make, the usefulness of online script databases and how to approach a first screenwriting contract.
- What movie or movies ignited your interest in screenwriting and what was your very first (even if it ended up in a drawer) screenplay about?
- How much voice freedom does a screenwriter have and how important (or not) is vivid, beautiful writing if the story itself is good?
- Outside of formatting issues, what are the five most common mistakes new screenwriters make in the writing of the script?
- Loglines seem like they should be easy to write. Why aren’t they, and what advice can you offer that will make them easier?
- Is there a screenplay you can point to that screenwriters writing today should read simply as a fine example of screenwriting? Not necessarily to emulate (each person is his or her own writer), but to learn from and appreciate?